85 projects are funded
The province is offering $4 million this year and $4.5 million next year for 85 projects that help species at risk.
The application deadline is the end of this month. They can be filed at SAR.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligible projects include:
• Shoreline restoration, or wetland creation
• Controlled burns to manage tall grass prairie for SAR
• Reconnecting core Species At Risk (SAR) habitat by planting habitat corridors
• Creation/installation of SAR habitat features such as hibernacula or nesting sites
Survey, inventory or monitoring
• Conducting species and/or habitat monitoring
• Conducting species inventories (for example, presence/absence/abundance surveys) for newly listed SAR or within areas that have not been inventoried
• Assessing the effectiveness of stewardship activities through monitoring
• Outreach activities that increase awareness and knowledge about SAR, and encourage stewardship actions to targeted audiences or areas
• Developing public and/or industry engagement plans that promote the best actions to benefit SAR
• Promoting best management practices that minimize impacts on SAR and their habitats during land or resource use
• Delivery of information sessions for targeted audiences (for example, landowners, farmers, industries, Indigenous communities, youth) to increase awareness and knowledge of SAR, and stewardship
• Preparation of brochures, fact sheets and publications, and other communications media
• Development and/or implementation of best management practices to minimize impacts on SARand their habitats during land or resource use
• Implementation of features that reduce, mitigate or eliminate threats to SAR such as exclusion fencing or eco-passages
• Filling biological knowledge gaps to inform species recovery
• Assessing the effectiveness of stewardship activities using scientific rigour
• Gathering, sharing, or incorporating local and traditional ecological knowledge of SAR and their habitats
• Development of local or regional plans to conduct stewardship actions to protect and recover SARand their habitats
• Development of site specific habitat management plans for targeted SAR.