Northumberland barn goes up in flames

Firefighters were able to stop flames spreading from a barn fire to a farmhouse in Hamilton Township

Hamilton Township Fire Captain Trevor Clapperton was at the scene of the Gores Landing area barn fire. Firefighters were able to keep it from spreading to the nearby farm house. No animals or people were injured.

Share Adjust Comment Print

By Valerie MacDonald

HAMILTON TWP. – A two-storey barn, adjacent storage building and free-standing workshop were destroyed by fire near Gores Landing in Northumberland County Friday afternoon.

When this reporter arrived, firefighters were still on the scene of the Nov. 8 fire attempting to extinguish burning hay buried under the collapsed steel roof of the barn. West-bound traffic was being diverted from County Road 9 because of the line-up of firefighting vehicles on the paved roadway.

Fortunately no one was injured and most of the animals, including horses, were outside of the barn when a man who was working on a tractor in the yard noticed black smoke billowing from the “upper story of the barn which was filled with hay,” Hamilton Township Fire Captain Trevor Clapperton said.

Hamilton Township firefighters were able to stop flames from a barn fire from spreading to a nearby farmhouse. The upper story of the barn containing hay ignited Friday afternoon on Northumberland County Road 9 near Gores Landing.

He called 911 but was unable to do anything else, the firefighter added.

Only one barn cat was unaccounted for at that time.

Firemen had initially worked to keep the fire from spreading to the nearby farmhouse. A north-blowing wind aided the process. Nearby, across a large open field, school buses were arriving to pick up students at the end of the day and while their drivers could certainly smell the smoke, it was not blowing towards the school or bus pick up zone.

Firefighters were once again donning breathing gear as they continued the work of trying to get to the smouldering hay trapped beneath the barn roof.

The fire call came in between 1:30 and 2 p.m. Clapperton said he expected getting the hay fire out would take many more hours on the scene.

There was no estimate of damage or official cause of the fire.